Friday, May 20, 2011

Come back to campus during semester break

After finished final exam, everyone hope can go back to hometown immediately. Most of them hope they can own a teleport, hence they can use it to go back their hometown in a few second. This is because many students studying at Utar are come from many different states, such as Penang, Perak, Selangor, Melaka, Johor, Kelantan, Terengganu and even some of them are come from Sabah and Sarawak. So, once finish exam, I’m 100% sure that they’re really very miss their hometown. For me, I choose to come back to campus during semester break, this is due to I had participated the biotechnology and microalgae seminar on 20th and 21st May.

Everyone also curious that why a chemistry student like to participate a biotechnology course. Hmm.. the “everyone” I mean is my girlfriend, my coursemates and may be even my friend surrounding me also ask me the same question: As a chemistry student, why you are interested to join it? My answer for them is: because I just want to learn more thing that I unable to learn in the textbooks and lectures. So, I participate it. =) Although I clearly know that the particular talk is not related to me, however, I know that i spend rm50 and my time here is not worthless. I like chemistry, but I also like microalgae. I like chemistry because it’s not complicated as physic and it’s not bored with the long scientific biological term in biology. I like chemistry because I like it. =) For microalgae? I like it because its greenish colour and sometimes they appear in blue and reddish.

Huh? May be you will curious why microalgae appear in different colour. Let me show you some of them! And you will notice that not all the algae are appear in green. =)

The first one..  Reddish microalgae!

haema 

Haematoccocus pulvaris

Followed by..

spirulina

Spirulina with blue

And…

rotifer

Rotifers

LOL! These microalgae are what I had learned from the seminar today. Although it is very little, but I hope tomorrow I can learn more types of them (There is around 800,000 species of them in the world). Besides, today also learned about the methods to culture them such as photobioreactor and raceway pond.

images

This is raceway pond which is fully filled with blue spirulina.

2

This is photobioreactor with an attractive and unique shape.

 

The coluorful microalgae are really attractive. Enjoyed my learning process in my university, previously and currently! ^^

No comments: